Sunday, May 13, 2007

Dream Boy

Just finished reading Jim Grimsley's novel, Dream Boy. My heart is broken. I asked him, "of your own works, which is your favorite?" I met Jim Grimsley at the Saints and Sinners festival on Friday, and finished the novel Sunday. Mmm... fondly reminiscing my own high school dream boy, Daniel Parker.

A few years ago, Dorothy Allison, my writing mentor, strongly urged me to read his first novel, Winter Birds, which may be next, or second to next because I could stand something NOT tragic to read. Eagerly awaiting Dorothy's new novel, She Who, to come out in 2008. I heard her read from it in Portland, Oregon last year. Had to walk it off. Her first novel, Bastard Out of Carolina, is in my top 4, as follows:

* The Glass Bead Game (aka Magister Ludi) by Hermann Hesse.
* Snow Country by Yasunari Kawabata
* Bastard Out of Carolina by Dorothy Allison
* Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson

Regarding my own novel, I'm closing in on chapter 10. It's about the Pastor's daughter, who is fast becoming my hero. I came back from Short Mountain charged up for writing. Making Write Club appointments every other day since I've been home. Cafe Envie in the French Quarter tonight.

No comments: