Sunday, November 4, 2007

How to Dress for Radio

4 hours at Fair Grinds Coffee House today with Harriet Sheehey, a regular Write Club-ber. Made good progress on the ancient China chapter. To prepare for the re-entry into that difficult closing scene--where the mentor and the monk discuss the sacrifice of a friend--I read Thich Nhat Hanh, a contemporary Zen teacher from Vietnam. In his chapter entitled, "The 7 Factors of Awakening," I saw a way to depict a character transformation. I saw a pivot point and wrote around it. I'm almost done now. I'm ready to print a draft, read it aloud. Maybe 1 or 2 more passes, then the click. I print 2 copies, one for the binder, one to mail.

Had a nice promotional write-up of ORIGIN in the Living section of Saturday's Times-Picayune:
    I Want to Look My Best for the Radio Audience!
    Golden Age of Radio aficionado and veteran character actor John Barber has been cast as The Radio Announcer with the Hercules Audio Theater's production of ORIGIN, by Frederick Mead, live onstage Nov. 15 at 8 p.m. at the Marigny Theatre, 1030 Marigny St., one performance only.

    Mead's eclectic script is a comic homage to Orson Welles' infamous "War of the Worlds" broadcast and "Captain Midnight," with faux radio commercials, the comedy of Mike Nichols and Elaine May and more. Live sound effects will be the work of Cammie West, and the original music by "Uncle Wayne" Daigrepoint, who promises not to wear sock puppets while playing.

    Mead also directs, and actors involved include Mary Pauley, Molly Maginnis and Kevin Songy. Tickets $10. Come early and get a cocktail at the adjacent Cowpokes Bar.
Think I'll rent a tux.

No comments: